Knowing how to straight wire a cooling fan can be important for debugging and repairing any potential issues or replacements of old parts.
In this article, we will be exploring the various steps that you need to follow to straight wire a cooling fan.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Straight Wire a Cooling Fan
Although it looks complex and technical at first, all you have to do is follow the below-mentioned steps. And in no time, you will be able to have your cooling fan all set up and in good working condition.
Let me take you through each of the steps to be followed one by one:
Step 1. Installation
The first step is to install the cooling fan to the radiator of the engine. To complete this process successfully, you need to find the positive and negative wires. The positive wire is the ground wire, and the negative wire is the power wire.
Make sure that you have selected the two wires carefully without getting them confused.
Once this is done, you need to cut and strip around half an inch from the insulation ends of the two wires.
Step 2. Grounding
Take a twelve-gauge jumper wire and connect one of its ends to the ground wire of the cooling fan.
Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the engine of the car or any metal part of the vehicle. (1)
Step 3. Testing
Now take another new twelve-gauge jumper wire and connect one end to the positive wire of the cooling fan and connect the other wire to the battery of the vehicle. Now you can place the wire on the battery and begin the testing process.
The cooling fan will begin to work once you place the other end of the jumper wire on the positive end of the battery. If the cooling fan works, it means you have done everything right!
Precautionary Measures and Safety Tips to be Followed Before Straight Wiring a Cooling Fan
Although the process might seem simple and easy to do, it is important to note that straight wiring a cooling fan is a serious operation that needs to be done in safe conditions. Here are some of the precautionary measures and safety tips that you should follow before you start to straight wire a cooling fan.
- Switch off the ignition of your vehicle before you begin straight wiring the cooling fan.
- Do not place the cooling fan in an area where it is directly exposed to sunlight or in any warm place.
- Be careful when connecting the wires and always make sure to check the manual or ask for help if you are unsure about the wires.
- Keep tools and devices away from the cooling fan.
- Make sure to shut down the cooling fan a few minutes after shutting down the engine
- Do not perform the wiring work in a highly flammable or busy environment to ensure minimal impact in case of a disaster or emergency. (2)
We hope you found this article useful in learning how to straight wire a cooling fan. The next time your cooling fan starts acting up, you can simply follow these steps and get it working back again in no time.
Take a look at some of our related articles below.
- How to tell negative and positive wire
- Is white wire positive or negative
- What happens if ground wire is not connected
(1) metal part of the vehicle – https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/auto-manufacturing/automotive-metal-forming.htm
(2) busy environment – https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/guide/fast-paced-environment/
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let us improve this post!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.