I know that feeling when you first move in, and everything seems spacious, but as time goes by, it suddenly feels cramped.
But don’t worry! I’ve got some great tips on how to gain square footage without having to move or renovate! Here’s a rundown of some tips that you can apply to your home:
🛌 Murphy Bed Magic: Transforming small spaces.
📦 Tote-ally Organized: Stylish, savvy storage.
🔝 Up High: Clever use of vertical space.
👚 Closet Customization: Tailored for efficiency.
🪑 Ottoman Overload: Seating meets storage.
👌 And so much more…
Get inspired as we dive into these smart, space-saving solutions that promise to declutter your home and elevate your living experience.
1. Maximize with a Murphy Bed
Having a guest room is great, but let’s think about it. How often do family or friends come over to stay with you? That’s right, not too often.
So, why waste that space all year long on a regular bed? Let me tell you about Murphy beds.
Picture this: a bed that pulls down from the wall when needed and easily tucks away when guests leave. That’s the magic of a Murphy bed! With just one hand, you can open and close it—even keep the sheets on. Like that, you’ve got an entire room back to use for whatever you please.
2. Master Storage with Totes
Storage totes are your new best friends to keep your home organized! Place them in underused spaces, like on closet shelves or under the bed.
Don’t worry about aesthetics; a simple dust ruffle conceals those underbed containers. And for the closet, why not use stylish baskets or fabric totes? You’ll love the results!
Pro tip: Unlock even more space by filling your suitcases with seasonal or rarely worn clothes.
Remember, a little creativity goes a long way with storage solutions. Happy organizing!
3. Elevate Your Style: Use Vertical Space
I’ve noticed that vertical space is often underused when making the most of our home’s square footage.
You’d be amazed at how much space you can gain by utilizing walls in your closets, pantries, or even your home gym! Make use of organizational units like shelves to keep your storage meticulously arranged.
Pro tip: Keep items sorted in clear containers or labeled baskets. This way, it’s easier to find things when you need them. Embrace vertical space, and your home will feel more spacious and organized!
4. Tailor Your Closet Space
Your reach-in closet is a hidden gem with untapped potential. Going custom for your closet can make a huge difference, especially if you’ve got a walk-in closet.
Maximize the storage space by investing in a custom system – professionally installed or a DIY project using custom components.
Pro tip: If budget is a concern, there are closet cures that cost less than $100 you can consider. So why not try it and make the most out of your closet?
5. Multitask with Ottomans and Benches
Ottomans and benches can be a game-changer for your home. They serve a dual purpose: storage spaces for stuff like blankets, pillows, shoes, or anything you like!
Think of it this way: Ottomans are perfect for flexible seating in living rooms and entertaining areas, while benches come in handy in an entryway or closet, or even your porch, holding shoes and other items while offering a spot to sit and take off boots.
In my experience, stylish storage ottomans can help you clear clutter swiftly and effortlessly. So, don’t hesitate to explore this versatile option – your home will thank you!
6. Hook Up Your Space with Hooks and Racks
Let me tell you, well-placed hooks are real game-changers when freeing up floor space. Imagine hanging stuff like bikes, tools, purses, and backpacks in your laundry room, closet, or garage.
No wall damage? No problem! Grab some removable hanging strips that make reorganizing or moving a breeze. Trust me, your floor space will thank you, and your home will look more organized.
7. Double Duty: Headboards with Storage
I love the idea of a well-crafted headboard with built-in shelves. It’s such a space saver, taking the place of nightstands on both sides of the bed!
No more knocking things off the nightstand; you’ll have everything within easy reach.
Pro tip: If, like me, you keep your electronics close by at night, choose a headboard with an open space in the back for cables. It’s a neat solution that helps keep everything organized.
8. Space-Saving Genius: Bunk Bed and Desk Combos
Kids, I tell you, are experts at occupying all the available space in your home! Their stuff ends up everywhere. But fear not. I’ve got a solution for you – a bunk bed and desk combination.
It’s perfect for increasing the kids’ room floor space and creating efficient storage options.
Pro tip: The smart combo isn’t limited to children’s bedrooms! It can also fit nicely in a studio apartment where you must make the most of every square inch. You’ll thank me later, trust me.
9. Shelf It: A Solution for Every Corner
I always say shelving is a lifesaver when saving square footage – there are so many places to sneak in a shelf or two! I particularly love how corner shelves add both function and style.
Don’t forget those pesky narrow spots behind doors; they’re perfect for thin shelves. Oh, and my favorite trick: mounting shelves above doors!
Regarding the entryway, shelves are a game-changer for keeping purses, shoes, keys, gloves, and much more off the floor. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later for adding all these extra shelves to your home!
10. Under-Stair Savvy: Creative Space Utilization
Even without a hidden room like Harry Potter’s, you can transform that underused area under your stairs into something delightful!
How about a gorgeous bookshelf, shoe cubbies, or a smart storage solution to eliminate floor clutter? You could add a bench for putting on shoes, a cute mini playroom for your kids, or a cozy spot for your dog’s bed!
Trust me, that space has so much potential waiting to be unleashed. Your home will feel roomier and way more functional in no time.
11. Invest in Bespoke Cabinetry
I’ve seen how custom cabinetry can work wonders in a home. These units offer incredible storage options while blending seamlessly into your space.
Imagine entertainment centers, multi-functional dividing walls, and sleek entryways designed to maximize storage in a compact footprint.
Pro tip: Don’t just think about cabinets. Consider your unique storage needs and create a custom storage system that optimizes your space. Remember, it’s all about making the most of what’s available!
Space-Saving Solutions: A Budget Breakdown
Embarking on a journey to maximize your living space doesn’t have to break the bank. It’s all about smart choices and knowing where to invest your hard-earned cash.
Here’s a straightforward, no-nonsense breakdown of what you might expect to spend on each space-saving solution.
|Estimated Cost Range
|Murphy Bed Installation
|$1,000 – $3,000
|Storage Totes Purchase
|$20 – $100 per set
|Vertical Space Utilization
|$50 – $200 (shelves & hooks)
|Custom Closet System
|$500 – $2,000
|Ottomans and Benches
|$100 – $500
|Hooks and Racks
|$10 – $100
|Headboards with Storage
|$150 – $800
|Bunk Bed and Desk Combo
|$400 – $1,200
|$30 – $300 per unit
|$200 – $1,000
|$1,000 – $5,000
Note: Prices can vary based on brand, quality, and whether you opt for a DIY or professional installation. Always consider getting a few quotes or researching to find the best deals and options that suit your needs and style.
Keeping Your Space-Saving Solutions Pristine: Maintenance Tips
Once you’ve got your space-saving solutions, upkeep is the key to long-term satisfaction. Proper maintenance ensures that these smart additions continue to serve you well, both functionally and visually.
We’re diving into practical tips to keep your space-efficient choices looking great and working perfectly.
- Murphy Bed Maintenance: Regularly check and tighten loose hardware to ensure smooth operation. Clean the bed frame and mattress according to the manufacturer’s instructions to keep it fresh and inviting.
- Storage Totes and Bins: Wipe down storage totes periodically to prevent dust accumulation. Label them clearly and re-evaluate their contents annually to avoid clutter.
- Vertical Space Solutions: Dust shelves and hooks regularly. Make sure that wall-mounted units remain securely anchored, especially under heavy loads.
- Custom Closet Care: Keep the closet well-ventilated to prevent moisture build-up. Sort through and reorganize your items seasonally to maintain order and accessibility.
- Ottomans and Benches Upkeep: Vacuum upholstered storage furniture to keep it clean. Check hinges and lids for smooth functionality.
- Hooks and Racks: Ensure they remain tightly fixed to the wall and avoid overloading to prevent damage.
- Headboard Storage: Dust regularly and avoid overloading shelves. If it has a fabric cover, vacuum or spot-clean as needed.
- Bunk Bed and Desk Combo: Regularly inspect the structure for sturdiness, especially if children use it. Keep the desk surface clutter-free for easy cleaning.
- Shelving Units: Adjust and tighten any loose fittings. Periodically declutter to maintain an organized look.
- Under-Stair Storage: Keep this area well-organized and periodically clear out any items that are no longer needed to avoid clutter buildup.
- Custom Cabinetry: Clean with appropriate cleaners for the material (wood, laminate, etc.). Periodically check hinges and handles for proper function.
Regular maintenance not only prolongs the life of your space-saving solutions but also contributes to a more harmonious and efficient living environment. A little effort goes a long way in preserving the beauty and functionality of your space.
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID). https://www.asid.org/
- National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO). https://www.napo.net/
- “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo. https://shop.konmari.com/products/the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up-1
- “Small Space Style” by Whitney Leigh Morris. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/35566791
- Houzz. https://www.houzz.com/
- Apartment Therapy. https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/
- IKEA Ideas. https://www.ikea.com/ph/en/ideas/
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let us improve this post!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.