Learning, Outlet,

Why is My Outlet Warm with Nothing Plugged In? (Causes & What To Do)

If your outlet is warm, even when nothing is plugged in, it is a potential fire hazard; you should take it seriously and check the outlet.

The reason for an unused but warm outlet could be an overloaded circuit, loose wire, poor or corroded connection, moisture inside, or something else. In any case, please don’t leave it as is.

Investigate the cause of the problem and take the appropriate measure to deal with it.

Check for all such issues. Ensure all connections are secure, keep your outlets dry, replace old wiring, and, if necessary, replace the outlet itself.

I will go through each possible cause in detail; we have a checklist at the bottom of the article.

burning and burnt outlet
Video | Top Homeowner

Possible Causes of an Unused Warm Outlet

An Overloaded Circuit

The most common reason is an overloaded circuit.

You might not have anything plugged into the warm outlet, but it is on a shared circuit if connected to other outlets. An overload anywhere along the circuit would affect it, too. For example, you might have a ring circuit arrangement or a GFCI outlet connected with other regular outlets.

Every circuit has a limit to how much power it can draw. An outlet will always heat up if you make the circuit supply more power than it can handle. Note that you shouldn’t exceed 80% of the amperage of the circuit breaker connected to the circuit.

If you’re using an extension cord (or power strip), or a splitter, on that circuit, i.e., in another connected outlet, remove some appliances to see if it makes a difference.

overloaded outlet on the same circuit
An overloaded outlet on the same circuit

Depending on the wire size and other things, if the circuit can handle a higher current, you could consider installing a higher-rated circuit breaker instead.


Other Possible Causes

Other possible causes of an unused outlet that gets warm are:

Loose Wire – If you wired the outlet recently or it’s old, you should suspect a wire might be loose. Open the outlet and check all the wire connections again.

Faulty Wiring – Faulty wiring could be more dangerous than loose wiring. Open the outlet and recheck the wire to ensure it has been done properly.

Old Wiring – If your wiring is very old, and you’re noticing several outlets in your home with the same problem, it might be a good time to call an electrician and inquire about replacing your entire wiring. Electrical wires can deteriorate over time. You will probably have to rewire your home.

Corroded Connection – A corroded connection could prevent the outlet from functioning normally even if the wiring is secure. If there is too much corrosion inside, throw the outlet away and replace it with a new one. If the outlet is in an area exposed to moisture, ensure it’s a GFCI outlet.

Faulty Outlet – If you recently purchased the outlet, especially if it was cheap, this might be the cause. You should replace the outlet with a known working one.

Broken Outlet – If the outlet is broken, you shouldn’t use it. Replace it. It might just be a small crack or chip on the cover plate, but there might also be damage inside, or water may have seeped through.

Water Leakage – As you know, water and electricity are unsafe. If water somehow came into contact with the outlet, it could lead to a short circuit. This could be the reason if the outlet is located in an area exposed to moisture.

Main Panel – A problem at the main panel or with the circuit breaker connected to the warm outlet’s circuit could be causing heat buildup. If the problem is isolated to the circuit breaker, you should change it, and if it’s the panel or something you can’t quite figure out, you should call your electrician.


What to Do if an Outlet Gets Warm

Now that we’ve covered common causes of why an outlet may be warm with nothing plugged in, what should you do if one in your home does get warm?

I’ve mentioned some measures you can take above already, but here is a summary of all actions you can take according to the cause:

  • Remove excess load on the other outlet on the circuit.
  • Consider installing a higher-rated circuit breaker if your wiring can handle a higher current.
  • Turn the power supply off, open the outlet, and recheck the wiring and connections. Secure all connections firmly.
  • Keep the outlet dry. Outlets in areas exposed to moisture or rain should have a weatherproof cover and be inspected regularly to ensure they are dry inside.
  • Replace old wiring. If you live in an old home, you should arrange to have it rewired.

If you have a thermal scanner, you can use it to test where the heat is generated. This could help identify a loose wire or connection or trace the cause elsewhere.

CauseWhat to DoCommonality
Breaker issueReplace the breaker or call an electrician to check the whole panelCommon
Dimmer switchReplace the dimmer switch or failing light bulbCommon
Failing outletFix the grounding or replace the whole receptacleCommon
Faulty fixtureCheck the fixtureCommon
Flickering lightsTighten loose wiresCommon
Improper installationOpen the outlet and re-check the wiringCommon
Loose connectionOpen and inspect all connections, replace outlet if necessaryCommon
Old outletReplace the outlet, especially if it’s GFCI or older than ten yearsCommon
Rusty wiresCall an electrician to replace the main panel immediatelyRare
Warm outletReduce the load or call an electrician for more serious issuesCommon
Wrong wiringRecheck the wiringCommon

Loose wireOpen the outlet and check all wire connections againCommon
Faulty wiringRecheck the wire to ensure it has been done properlyCommon
Old wiringCall an electrician and inquire about replacing your entire wiringRare
Corroded connectionThrow the outlet away and replace it with a new oneCommon
Faulty outletReplace the outlet with a known working oneCommon
Broken outletReplace the outletCommon
Water leakageCheck for water damage, and replace the outlet if necessaryRare
Main panelChange the circuit breaker or call an electrician for more serious issuesRare




Video References

Stevenofpa

Top Homeowner

How helpful was this article?

Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!

Let us improve this post!

Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.

About Sam Orlovsky

AvatarCertifications: B.E.E.
Education: University Of Denver - Electric Engineering
Lives In: Denver Colorado

Electrical engineering is my passion, and I’ve been in the industry for over 20 years. This gives me a unique ability to give you expert home improvement and DIY recommendations. I’m not only an electrician, but I also like machinery and anything to do with carpentry. One of my career paths started as a general handyman, so I also have a lot of experience with home improvement I love to share.

| Reach Me

Leave a Comment

Unlock Your Home Improvement Potential!
Up to 50% Off on Everything!
No, thank you. I do not want it.